The activity of mountain guiding constitutes the permanent or occasional gainful engagement in one or several of the following activities:
- guiding clients on mountain trails and pathless terrain;
- guiding clients on ski touring;
- guiding clients on mountain climbing;
- guiding clients on glacier tours;
- providing professional instructions on mountaineering.
A mountain guide is a person exclusively and professionally engaged in the above activities and included on the List of Mountain Guides, kept by the Slovenian Association of Mountain Guides.
It is only permitted to carry out mountain guiding services with mountain guides, and in some cases also with trainee mountain guides. Trainee mountain guides may independently guide clients on climbing, ski touring, mountain trail and pathless terrain tours. They may act as guides on glacier tours and provide professional lessons in mountaineering only under the guidance and supervision of mountain guides.
Only the following services may be carried out without a mountain guide:
- guiding on mountain trails and pathless terrain that require no use of rope techniques;
- guiding on ski touring requiring no securing of trail in winter conditions.
To complement the services available to clients, mountain guidance services may also include transport service, equipment rental and other similar services related to the above-mentioned activities.