Life-long career orientation
A life-long career orientation includes the activities that enable the identification of abilities, competences and interests in making decisions in the field of employment, education, training and job selection and provides managing of careers so that individuals learn and use these abilities and competences.
A life-long career orientation is provided by the contractors awarded in the public tender of the Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities where they acquire a concession to carry out the activity. The concession relationship lasts for a fixed period, i.e. maximum three years.
Services of life-long career orientation are conducted by the contractors, dealing with a life-long career orientation, which may organise centres to carry out these services.
A life-long career orientation is divided to two types of activities:
- a life-long orientation for the unemployed and job-seekers;
- a life-long career orientation for young people.
The activities for a life-long orientation for the unemployed and job-seekers are:
- acquiring information about the labour market (includes different form of acquiring of information about the possibilities of employment, education, training, financial assistance and other topics related to the labour in Slovenia and other countries of EU, EEA and the Swiss Confederation);
- independent career management (includes different aids which an individual uses to plan and manage his career so that these aids lead him through crucial points which have to be observed);
- basic career counselling (includes individual counselling and assistance in the preparation of employment plan and the job-seeking assistance which encompasses the activities to acquire job-seeking skills);
- in-depth career counselling (in addition to the basic counselling it also includes the evaluation of the individual's competences and preparation of a career plan);
- learning career management skills (includes forms, the purpose of which is to acquire skills to recognise an individual's interests and competences, opportunities in their environment, decision-making, and the realisation of employment and career objectives.
The activities of a life-long career orientation for young people are:
- acquiring information (to implement a life-long career orientation for young people in education the access to information related to the field of education and labour market must be provided);
- services to recognise occupations and labour market (a school-age youth participates in programmes implemented to familiarise them with occupations and include theoretical presentations of occupations, schooling system and practical display of conducting an individual occupation at the workplace);
- career management aids (the service includes the methodology which guides an individual on the path of decision-making about his career – these are different tools, questionnaires and test which cover key points of career management);
- preventive team management (the preventive team management of educational and occupational intents of the ninth grade pupils of elementary school is implemented by the school counsellor, form teacher, contractor's career counsellor and school doctor and other teachers who identify those pupils with difficulties in decision-making and plan to assist them);
- individual career counselling (the service has all characteristics of the in-depth career counselling and stimulates an individual throughout the whole comprehensive approach to explore interest, abilities, characteristics and competences and assists in forming the career objectives in terms of schooling as well as employment);
- group forms of learning about the skills of career management (includes the acquisition of skills to recognise individual interests and competences, opportunities in the environment, forming and realisation of career objectives and motivation to realise career objectives.