Providing the public service of plant health protection
In particular, the public service of plant health protection encompasses the performance of tasks related to the observation and forecasting of harmful organisms as well as professional tasks in the field of plant health protection.
This public service is provided in the entire area of the Republic of Slovenia, according to the areas defined in the annex that is an integral part of the Rules on the Conditions and Tasks Related to the Public Service of Plant Health Protection.
The activity of providing the public service of plant health protection is carried out by public institutions, entities subject to public law, and other natural and legal entities meeting the required personnel and spatial conditions and conditions regarding equipment.
Tasks in the field of observing and forecasting harmful organisms mainly include:
- the monitoring and observing of the development of harmful organisms and determining the optimum deadlines for pest control;
- recording outbreaks and increased populations of harmful organisms (epiphytotics);
- forecasting the development and increased frequency of harmful organisms;
- providing meteorological, biotic, and other data for the purpose of observing and forecasting the occurrence of harmful organisms;
- performing basic field and laboratory diagnostics of harmful organisms;
- issuing warnings and preventing the spread of harmful organisms by means of advising and providing instructions for the use of plant protection products and by means of informing the public and relevant authorities;
- the education of plant holders with regard to performing plant health production activities.
In particular, professional tasks in the field of plant health protection encompass:
- performing specialised laboratory tests on plants, plant products, and controlled items for the purpose of harmful organism diagnostics;
- providing professional opinion to plant holders with regard to plant health protection;
- the professional training of persons responsible for plant health protection regarding the issuing of plant passports.
In particular, the activity of providing this public service also encompasses other commercial and service activities that are directly linked to the performing of this public service or complement the public service:
- project work in connection with plant health protection on the level of local communities;
- international project work in connection with plant health protection and
- services for the economy.
Obligations with regard to the providing of the public service of plant health protection:
- constant and continued performance of the activity and provision of services;
- enabling services for each natural or legal entity dealing with agricultural activities, plant protection activities;
- providing services at the prescribed price.
A provider of a public service must keep their accounts and official records in a manner that enables the financial and professional control over the operation of the concessionaire.
Professional supervision of performing the public service is carried out by the relevant competent authority.Inspection control is performed by the phytosanitary inspection.
The obligations of the public service of plant health protection are regulated in more detail by means of a decision on concession and a concession agreement concerning the performance of tasks related to the public service of plant health protection.