Decision on the recognition of designation 'natural mineral water'
Only natural mineral waters may be marketed in Europe which are recognised by the competent authorities of individual Member States.
The procedure of the recognition of the natural mineral water in the Republic of Slovenia is initiated on the basis of the application lodged by the producer with the Administration of the Republic of Slovenia for Food Safety, Veterinary Sector and Plant Protection. The application must include the basic form and attachments consisting of:
- geological and hydrological research studies,
- physical and chemical research studies,
- sensory assessment, analyses of chemical parameters of natural mineral water,
- microbiological analyses of the natural mineral water,
- pharmacological, physiological and clinical research,
- report on the first conducted inspection and suitability of the equipment for the exploitation of the natural mineral water indicating the fulfilment of all prescribed conditions for the recognition of the natural mineral water and its exploitation.
The authorised institute (Institute of Public Health Maribor,Institute of Public Health Celje, Institute of Public Health Novo mesto) conducts physical and chemical research, assessment, analysis and report for the applicant, namely:
- at the spring
- after bottling
- in the case that the procedure of processing natural mineral water is performed during the filling (filtration, decantation, oxidation or extraction of compounds with Ozone), each application must include also the research after the processing.
An expert committee, appointed by the ministry, then examines the application and gives an opinion.
On the basis of the positive opinion of the expert committee, a decision on the recognition of the designation 'natural mineral water' is issued.