Recognition of qualifications acquired abroad
Citizens of the European Union Member States, the European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederations or the countries which have signed a suitable international agreement may perform a profession in the Republic of Slovenia under the same conditions as Slovenian citizens.
Citizens who wish to have a permanent professional position must acquire the decision on the recognition of professional qualification with the competent ministry of the Republic of Slovenia.
The procedure for the recognition of professional qualification is initiated at the request of the applicant who lodges a written application with the competent ministry.
In the procedure the competent ministry may request that the applicant submits other evidence in addition to the below stated.
Evidence on professional qualifications issued by a third country are considered as the evidence of professional qualifications if an applicant has three years of professional experience in the field of the profession in the territory of the European Union, Member State, the European Economic Area or Swiss Confederation which recognised this evidence on professional qualifications.
The evidence, except for the evidence on citizenship, is usually submitted in certified translation, and its original is available on request.
The competent ministry may request an opinion of the competent Chamber or other competent authority or organisation which must give an opinion within 14 days; otherwise the competent ministry issues the decision without this opinion.
The competent ministry in the procedure compares the written documentation of applicant's professional qualifications with the professional qualifications required by regulations of the Republic of Slovenia to perform a regulated profession or activity.
If, based on this comparison, the competent ministry assesses that the applicant's professional qualifications are not appropriate, the authority issues a temporary decision requesting that the applicant carries out one of the additional actions necessary for the recognition of his professional qualifications with regard to the circumstances of the case:
- a test of professional competence or an adjustment period during which they meet the missing conditions for the recognition of their professional qualifications.
The competent ministry issues the applicant the decision on the recognition of his professional qualifications for the practise of a profession:
- if, based on the application, it assesses that the professional qualifications of an applicant correspond to the professional qualifications required by the regulations in the Republic of Slovenia;
- when an applicant submits evidence of successfully completed adjustment period or a test of professional competence.
Application dossier ali application for marketing authorization
- Act Regulating the Procedure for Recognition of Professional Qualifications for Practising Regulated Professions or Professional Activities in the Republic of Slovenia for Nationals of the EU Member States, European Economic Area and Swiss Confederation
- Judicial remedy: Administrative dispute
- Competent authority: Administrative Court of the Republic of Slovenia