Decision on the implementation of occasional security check-up
The operator of the radiation or nuclear facility (hereinafter referred to as the facility operator) must ensure regular, comprehensive and systematic assessment and verification of radiation or nuclear safety of the facility with occasional security check-ups.
40 months prior to the expiry of the validity of the operating permit at the latest, the facility operator must submit the content, scope and time frame for the implementation of the occasional security check-up for approval to the authority competent for nuclear safety.
Prior to the implementation of the occasional security check-up the facility operator must report to the authority competent for nuclear safety on the process and implementation of the check-up.
The radiation or nuclear facility operator must:
- with a systematic security check systematically verify joint effects of facility ageing, the effects of changes on the facility, operating experience, technical development, the impact of changes at the site and other potential impacts on radiation or nuclear safety and establish the conformity with project bases, on the basis of which the operating permit was issued, with valid international safety standards and international practice, thus confirming that the facility is at least as safe as was envisaged during the planning, and that it is able to safety operate in the future;
- at the implementation of occasional security check-up use the newest, appropriate, systematic and documented methodology that bases on deterministic and probability approach to analyses and assessments of radiation and nuclear safety;
- to quickly eliminate potential deviations from the facility project, established during the occasional security check-up, considering their relevance for nuclear safety;
- occasional security check-up must be used for checking and arranging the knowledge about the facility and processes as well as its technical documentation;
- the occasional security check-up is used to establish and assess the security relevance of deviations from the valid standards and best international practice, to implement all appropriate and rational changes that emerge from occasional security check-up;
- the occasional security check-up must be implemented in such way that the written situation analysis is prepared for individual content, and this content is documented and supported with appropriate analyses.
The provisions under the previous paragraph do not apply for the repository of mine tailings and hydro-metallurgical tailings.
At least three years prior to the deadline for confirming the report on occasional security check-up, the operator of the radiation or nuclear facility must submit an application for the approval of the content, scope and time frame of the implementation of such check-up, which is confirmed by the competent authority with a decision.
- Judicial remedy: Administrative dispute
- Competent authority: Administrative Court of the Republic of Slovenia