Approval for research
The approval for research and removal is issued by the Ministry of Culture. The research and the removal are supervised by a competent organisation.
The approval also confirms the removal if the approval orders the person to implement a countervailing measure.
The countervailing measure shall be, in terms of its effect, proportional to the significance of the archaeological remains the removal of which is permitted.
The application for the issue of the approval is filed by the contracting authority or the researcher files it at the ministry according to the authorisation of the contracting authority. Prior to the issue of the approval for the research and the removal of archaeological remains, the application is considered by the Expert Committee for Archaeological Research which also issues a preliminary opinion.
In its opinion, the Commission assesses the reasons for the implementation of the research, the suitability of qualification and structure of the research group and the suitability of proposed research procedures.
The Ministry of Culture issues an approval for a research, if:
- there are findings or material evidence or indirect indicators that archaeological findings are on a specifiable area, in the ground or in the water,
- the implementation of the research is founded, and the commission provides its preliminary opinion on this matter under the condition that
- the research is supervised by an institution or performed by a person professionally qualified for the implementation of archaeological research.
Acquisition of a permit
- Culture protection conditions or guidelines of the ministry
- Outline of the research location and the scope of the planned activity in the cadastral plan which must show the scale of the outline and where the potential area or areas of registered heritage must be marked
- Assessment of the content and scope of research
- Consent of the owner of the real estate for the activity
- Evidence that sufficient funds are ensured to explore and process the archive of the archaeological site following field work (statement or copy of the order or a valid agreement)
- Statement that the proposed head of research and other participants meet the prescribed conditions
- Statement of the service provider that they will inform the supervisor and the competent museum on the date of commencement of field work prior to commencing research
- Statement of the service provider that they will arrange all issues regarding archaeological findings, and the transfer and storage of the archive of the archaeological site in agreement with the competent museum
- Judicial remedy: Administrative dispute
- Competent authority: Administrative Court of the Republic of Slovenia